BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Using ssh and rsync for Windows

2010-03-07 09:36:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Using ssh and rsync for Windows
From: Trey Nolen <support AT internetpro DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 08:33:54 -0600

Gerald Brandt wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to speed up my backups a bit by switching from smb based backups to rsync based backups on Windows.

On my Windows 2003 Server, I install cygwin with cygrunsrv, openssh, and rsync, and it all seems to work.

My issue is that BackupPC wants to log in as 'root' to do the backup, but there is no root user.  Before I go and add a root user, and try to add root to the right groups, is there something I'm missing?

cygwin already setup an adminstrator user... can I set up BackupPC to use that?

Has anyone else managed to do this?  I found some info, but not a lot.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gerald

Sure,  if you are just switching a few hosts, setup a config.pl in their folders (typically, /var/lib/backuppc/pc/<hostmame>/config.pl).

In it, just specify a new Rsync Client Command, like this:
$Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = '$sshPath -q -x -l administrator $host $rsyncPath $argList+';

The -l administrator will make it log in as administrator instead of root.  If you have some other user you want to use, just substitute that for administrator.

Trey Nolen