BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Concrete proposal for feature extension for pooling

2010-03-02 15:05:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Concrete proposal for feature extension for pooling
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 14:04:19 -0600
On 3/2/2010 2:12 AM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

> One more question if you don't mind...
> Can you give an outline of how expiry works in the absence of
> hard-links? Specifically, without walking through the whole pc tree
> each night and tabulating all the md5sum references, how do you know
> when a pool file no longer has any remaining pc-tree references and
> therefore can be deleted from the pool? And if you do walk through the
> pool, can you do anything better than an O(n log n) type sort of the
> resulting md5sum lists that you would presumably construct?

I think this will need some sort of atomic-operation reference count
manager at the heart of things so you don't do those lookups except as a
repair step.

Will there be a way to disable the de-dup operations completely in the
case where the underlying filesystem does it at the block level?  I'd
expect such filesystems to become common and stable within the life of
this backuppc version.