BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Request for pointer

2010-01-29 14:40:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Request for pointer
From: John Hudak <jjhudak AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:38:20 -0500
Hi Les:
thanks for the reply...like I said in the my post, the Samba install is 'right out of the box'..i did not change anything in the smb.config file, except what was documented in the backuppc doc (as best I understood it).
I agree 100% with your conjecture that it is some setting in the smb config file, but what?
My premise is this: something in the smb.config file is *different* than what the backuppc configuration discusses, which is causing the communicaition problem, but what is it?
I guess that is why I am looking for something a bit more comprehensive on the samba server setup discussion.

John

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On 1/29/2010 10:10 AM, John Hudak wrote:
> I am trying to configure backuppc to back up a windows machine (XP) over
> a small LAN and am having quite a bit of difficulty.  When I run the
> backup, Backuppc says it cant find the client.  (My firewalls are
> removed, my Netgear router is functioning using DHCP, and has statically
> mapped the IP address of both the linux machine and XP machine) In the
> debian machine I can ping the XP machine, and visa versa.
>
> Backuppc is running under Debian 5, and the latest stable version of
> Samba.  I am attempting to use "SMB" protocol to talk to the XP
> machine.  I do not want to use rsync, (so please don't try and send me
> off in that direction.)
> I suspect that my problem relates to the config of Samba and that
> documentation in Backuppc makes an undocumented assumption of how Samba
> is configured.
> I would very much like:
> 1) some clarification of both backuppc settings and Samba setting from
> someone who has backuppc backing up xp clients over a small LAN.  e.g.
> show me relevant sections of your config and .pl files.
>
> 2) a pointer to a Samba-xp how to....where Samba is NOT a domain controller
>
> 3) a clarification to: When using backuppc and SMB, is the assumption
> that Samba is acting/configured as a domain controller or not? For
> backuppc to work, what is the easiest way to configure Samba (not as a
> domain controller?)

I can't help very much with this, but you should be able to debug your
samba setup by trying to connect manually with smbclient.  One thing
that might not be obvious is that your /etc/samba/smb.conf file is used
for some settings.  If you've changed things like workgroup or password
server there for server side settings that shouldn't apply to client
connections you might need to add a -s/path/to/different/smb.conf to the
SmbClient*Cmd settings.