BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Distro choice

2010-01-27 14:53:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Distro choice
From: John Hudak <jjhudak AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:46:45 -0500
Hmmm would you detail the steps needed to do this?:

" But, I'm also using autofs to mount across Samba to back up a Windows
machine or two on my home network, and I'm NOT running Samba as a
domain, I'm simply mounting the file systems as CIFS/SMB using the
appropriate local LOCAL_COMPUTER\USERNAME account on the Windows boxes.
I had very little effort and trouble doing so myself."

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Max Hetrick <maxhetrick AT verizon DOT net> wrote:
John Hudak wrote:

> Thanks for posting the pointer.  After reading thorough it, I strongly
> disagree with the statement "Easiest choice for WinXX"....Easiest is a
> matter of perspective, and trying to figure out XP/Win7 file protection
> protocols so that it will play nice with Samba, is more than a little
> challenging.  Finding out the file protection mechanisms is one thing,
> and then figuring out how in Windoz to modify them is another.
>
>  From my perspective the problems I've been having could be mitigated
> with stronger documentation in the BackupPC doc about how Samba and XP
> should be configured.
>
> In retrospect, what is implied in the BackupPC doc is 'if you already
> are running a samba server and talking to Xp machines, then using SMB
> protocol is quite easy'....
>
> Your mileage may vary....
> John

This section actually comes out of the BackupPC documentation, and not
my own. This section was just copied and pasted from BackupPC's docs to
my doc to explain the various methods.

You are correct, this is the easiest method if you are already running a
Samba domain, which I am at work. However, I'm not at home.

But, I'm also using autofs to mount across Samba to back up a Windows
machine or two on my home network, and I'm NOT running Samba as a
domain, I'm simply mounting the file systems as CIFS/SMB using the
appropriate local LOCAL_COMPUTER\USERNAME account on the Windows boxes.
I had very little effort and trouble doing so myself.

My autofs line looks something similar to this to pass the correct
credentials.

-fstype=cifs,ro,username=Administrator,password=mypassword

Again, this is all local and I'm not running a domain admin account or
anything at home.

Max