BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Strict backup schedule

2010-01-27 12:26:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Strict backup schedule
From: Gerald Brandt <gbr AT majentis DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:26:32 -0600 (CST)

> I'd set full backups to run 8 days or more apart (which won't ever be
> hit), and use a cron job that runs just after midnight on saturdays and
> the first day of the month  (cron entry like "10 0 1 * 6") to kick off a
> full.  Unless your software automatically does a cleanup/rollover at
> midnight it's easier to hit the right boundaries that way.  Use a
> blackout interval to keep the daily incrementals from starting until
> after the fulls would be started.  Keep as many incrementals as you
> think you might need, and only worry about deleting fulls when you start
> to run short on space.
>
> Another alternative would be to do an 'archive' backup which creates a
> tar image on the schedule you want to keep.  With database dumps you
> aren't going to gain much from pooling anyway.  An archive run or a
> similar copy you do yourself with BackupPC_tarCreate can work from an
> incremental and the backing full so you wouldn't need special scheduling
> for the backuppc runs that way.

I set FullPeriod to 7.1, which should also work.  I also kept IncrKeepCount at 6.

I'd like to autoexpire the full backups, but BackupPC's mechanism won't cut it.  So, until I can do it automatically, deletion of fulls will have to be done manually.

Will putting FullKeepCnt=300 suffice for never having BackupPC delete fulls?

I might end up doing archives after the backups complete.  That I should be able to automate.

Gerald