BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Strict backup schedule

2010-01-27 11:39:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Strict backup schedule
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:37:13 -0600
On 1/27/2010 7:41 AM, Gerald Brandt wrote:

>  >
>  > Why are you so strict on keeping _only_ those backups? Why not just keep
>  > some more (which won't cost you a lot of space because of the pooling)?
>  >
>  > Or maybe I didn't get the point?
>  >
>  > Tino.
>  >

> I don't mind keeping more, lets say the fridays and end of months are
> the minimum requirements. But, I don't want to keep a daily, since the
> accounting data is an MS SQL dump, and the file changes everyday.
> Pooling won't help there.

I'd set full backups to run 8 days or more apart (which won't ever be
hit), and use a cron job that runs just after midnight on saturdays and
the first day of the month  (cron entry like "10 0 1 * 6") to kick off a
full.  Unless your software automatically does a cleanup/rollover at
midnight it's easier to hit the right boundaries that way.  Use a
blackout interval to keep the daily incrementals from starting until
after the fulls would be started.  Keep as many incrementals as you
think you might need, and only worry about deleting fulls when you start
to run short on space.

Another alternative would be to do an 'archive' backup which creates a
tar image on the schedule you want to keep.  With database dumps you
aren't going to gain much from pooling anyway.  An archive run or a
similar copy you do yourself with BackupPC_tarCreate can work from an
incremental and the backing full so you wouldn't need special scheduling
for the backuppc runs that way.