BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc - not backing up files, only folder structure

2010-01-27 11:14:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc - not backing up files, only folder structure
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:13:06 -0600
> Well I assumed that at the start... but i'm using the domain administrator
> credentials and from windows using the same credentials i'm able to browse
> any and all files.

Browse ... and *open*?

> So either it's something on the windows server which is preventing the
> domain administrator from accessing it remotely (which I dont think it is
> since i've proved from both the backuppc box and from a windows client
> that I can)

It's possible to get this error from a sharing violation -- if the file is
already opened in legacy exclusive mode and an attempt is made to open the
file in exclusive mode... or some combination like that.  Given that the
example file is a Flash file, this seems like a reasonable conjecture.

> or
>
> it's backuppc not providing the credentials correctly.

This seems unlikely, but you can rule it out by trying to copy the same
file using smbclient; if it's a timing issue (i.e., something else has it
open when BackupPC tries it but not when you do) this may not be a
particularly helpful diagnostic, but if the files are consistent, it may
be informative.

On a side note, there are at least two VSS/rsync solutions around for
BackupPC that do not suffer from these issues, and would be able to
properly back up the ost/pst files as well.