BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Problem with scheduled backup that works fine when user-initiated

2010-01-04 18:37:24
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Problem with scheduled backup that works fine when user-initiated
From: David Esposito <backuppc-users AT esposito.newnetco DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 18:13:04 -0500
I have a server that keeps failing its automated scheduled backup with
the dreaded 'Unable to read 4 bytes'. However, if I initiate either a
full or incremental backup via the web UI, it completes perfectly.
This rules out any SSH keypair problems, in my opinion. I have a dozen
successful backups, all initiated manually .. yet every night, I get
the error email about not being able to back up the server.

Here's my XferLOG.bad.z:

incr backup started back to 2009-12-30 18:14:15 (backup #4) for directory /
Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root www.whatever.com /usr/bin/rsync
--server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links
--hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive
--checksum-seed=32761 . /
Xfer PIDs are now 1952
Read EOF: Connection reset by peer
Tried again: got 0 bytes
Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)
Backup aborted (Unable to read 4 bytes)

I have tried running the SSH command line above .. no errors .. it
just sits there and waits ... But based on my reading and
understanding of the --server and --sender options, that seems to be
the expected behavior since it's waiting for the other end of the
connection to connect and negotiate the rsync.

I've spent a zillion hours trying to diagnose this and am at the end
of my rope. I have 3 different BackupPC installations in our 3
different data centers and have never seen this. Also, for this
BackupPC server instance, I have a dozen other client machines that
are successfully being backed up. It's just this one single box.
Lastly, all of the client machines are 'in the cloud' with the same
provider so there is no transient reachability issue. All of the
client machines are also running the same CentOS (5.4) image so the
kernel versions and rsync versions are identical.

This is a mystery!

Thanks in advance,
Dave