BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Any ETA for official Version 3.2.0 release?

2010-01-04 03:07:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Any ETA for official Version 3.2.0 release?
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 00:05:20 -0800
Jeff,

Yes, time flies.  Thanks for the reminder :).

I've made the attached changes to 3.2.0beta0 (not yet in CVS), and the
one thing I'd still like to fix is ftp.  I've given up on Zmanda doing
that, so I'll take that up myself now.

Given there are quite a few changes (although minor) I would like to do
a beta1.  I don't have an ETA but I'll hopefully get a beta1 out in the
next few weeks.

The good news is I've been spending more time on 4.x development.
I've prototyped up some significant pieces and I'm finally happy
with the performance and design.  After developing a relatively
complete prototype using FUSE I decided the performance just isn't
going to be adequate, so I've abandoned that.  I also experimented
with lessfs, which has some promising features, but my benchmarking
showed some real challenges around performance.

A lot of the list discussions have been very helpful.  My prototype
effort supports some of the major missing features, such as rsync
3.x, xattrs, infinite incrementals etc.  This is just a prototype,
so there is still much to do.  The next steps are to include several
of your many good suggestions: eliminate pool renaming, switching
to full-file MD5 digests, and putting the pool file name in the
attrib file.  Of course, it all needs to be backward compatible,
which is one of the many interesting challenges.

Craig

* Fixed bug in blackout calculation when multiple periods span midnight.
  Report and patch from Joachim Falk.

* Wrapped eval {} around attribute unpacking to make it more robust
  to data corruption.  Path submitted by Tim Connors.

* Ignore fileType 8 and 9 in BackupPC_tarCreate rather than consider then
  errors.  These are sockets and unknown (eg: solaris door) files that
  are created dynamicaly by applications - there is no meaningful restore
  for these file types.

* Changed lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm and lib/BackupPC/Storage/Text.pm based on
  patches from Davide Brini and Holger Parplies so that main config
  %Conf values are available in the host config file, allowing more
  flexibility in perl expressions in the config files.  Use beware,
  since the CGI editor won't work correctly if the config file have
  perl expressions.

* Obscure password values in LOG file when CGI editor is used to change
  values.  Proposed by Steve Ling.

* Added favicon.ico from Axel Beckert.  Thanks to Tyler Wagner for submitting
  another version and reminding me about the first.

* Replace "sort(HostSortCompare keys(%$Hosts))" with "sort HostSortCompare
keys(%$Hosts)"
  in bin/BackupPC to avoid an error with certain versions of perl.

* Fixed $Conf{XX} links in the BackupPC.html and the CGI editor so they
  correctly reference the definition.

* Support ${VAR} style variable substitution in commands, in addition to
  existing $VAR style.  Suggested by Jeffrey Kosowsky.

* Clarified usage of -b and -w options to BackupPC_tarCreate.  Submitted by
  Michael Selway.

* Repaired Unable_to_connect_to_BackupPC_server Lang string and added new
  string Unable_to_connect_to_BackupPC_server_error_message.  Proposed and
  explained by Holger Parplies.

* Added 'use utf8' to lib/BackupPC/Lang/pl.pm.  Reported by Michal Sawicz.

* Minor updates to lib/BackupPC/Lang/fr.pm from Hubert Tournier.

* Minor update to lib/BackupPC/Lang/en.pm from David Relson.