BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] __TOPDIR__ and $Conf{TopDir}

2009-11-25 12:12:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] __TOPDIR__ and $Conf{TopDir}
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 18:07:35 +0100
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 08:44:02AM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:

> >> __TOPDIR__ is a token that gets substituted/replaced during an initial
> >> install (a step that deb/rpm packagers have already done).  One of the
> >> places that the actual value is substituted is the value of
> >> $Conf{TopDir} in the config file.  But that's not the only place and
> >> that's why you can't change it later.
> >
> > Well, then we could simply move it out of config.pl into the code which
> > reads config.pl, e.g. have it preloaded into $Config...
>
> The installer doing the substitution also establishes and moves the code to
> its
> runtime location - which the packagers have put elsewhere.  It is
> approximately
> the equivalent of wanting to change 'configure' options of some other source
> package after you've installed a packaged binary.

I'm not talking about installation time.

I figure it works like this:
- someone calls BackupPC::new()
- it takes it's patched-in $TopDir to locate config.pl
- it reads config.pl
- so what's $Config{TopDir} good for except for confusing users?

I'd suggest just removing the setting from config.pl - the code calling
it should already know the correct setting - it's been patched in, isn't
it? Having it in config.pl will only confuse users since they expect it
is easy to change - so let's config.pl reflect what's really going on:
You cannot change it just here.

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.tisc.de