BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] "Exponential expiring incremental backups" with IncrKeepCnt?

2009-09-29 09:23:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] "Exponential expiring incremental backups" with IncrKeepCnt?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 07:37:01 -0500
Christian Neumann wrote:

> In the past we've used programs like snapback to do only once a full backup
> and subsequently just store the differences. This approach has several
> limitations and that's why we are looking into alternatives. (Disclaimer: I
> don't want to start (yet another) discussion about the pro/cons). But for us
> a total file storage size with a couple of TB a full backup takes a few
> days. Therefore we can't easily afford running a full backup every 1 or 2
> weeks.

Can you break it into subdirectory runs at logical points?  If so, you can make
it look like different hosts with different schedules for the fulls, using the
clientalias feature to point back to the same server. I think you'll be happier
if you can make the fulls complete in a night.  Otherwise, maybe you can get
the
schedule to hit weekends.

>> Incremental backups are there for gaining a speed advantage -
>> an advantage that will allow you to make daily (or hourly or
>> whatever) backups.
>
> You've said it. I was interested in the speedup (and I know e.g.
> http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
> net/msg04341.ht
> ml)

As a last resort, you might edit the code so it doesn't add the --ignore-times
option on full runs which is the main reason an rsync full takes longer than an
incremental.  But you probably do want that consistency check once in a while.