BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] "Exponential expiring incremental backups" with IncrKeepCnt?

2009-09-28 11:05:23
Subject: [BackupPC-users] "Exponential expiring incremental backups" with IncrKeepCnt?
From: "Christian Neumann" <christian.neumann AT mercyships DOT org>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 15:57:24 +0100
Hi there,

I'm recently trying to replace our only hard-links based backup solution
(snapback) by something more advanced like BackupPC. I got really far, but
now there is one thing I don't understand.

The documentation mentions exponential expiring incremental backups
(http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#backup_basics): "BackupPC
can also be configured to keep a certain number of incremental backups, and
to keep a smaller number of very old incremental backups."

But as soon as I try to enter an array for IncrKeepCnt just as it is
described for FullKeepCnt
(http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#what_to_backup_and_when_t
o_do_it) I get an error message saying that "IncrKeepCnt must be an
integer".

Are "exponential expiring incremental backups" supported? If not, is there a
reason behind it?

Thanks a lot for answers,
christian