BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] problem purging files & with pool size

2009-09-28 19:14:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] problem purging files & with pool size
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: backuppc AT omidia DOT com
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 01:09:14 +0200
Hi,

backuppc AT omidia DOT com wrote on 2009-09-28 08:48:44 -0700 [[BackupPC-users]
problem purging files & with pool size]:
> i'm having a problem purging files and with the size of my pool.
>
> i'm running version 2.1.2pl0.
>
> in the past, i've modified the $Conf{FullKeepCnt} so that it's more
> conservative, and then run BackupPC_nightly, and it's trimmed the pool.

I don't believe that is actually true. Backup expiration is done by
BackupPC_dump, not by BackupPC_nightly. I believe your problem with 2.1.2 is
that no dumps (and no expiration) are done when the pool FS is more than
DfMaxUsagePct full (actually I don't have the 2.1.2 source here, but in 2.1.1
that is the case; in 3.0.0beta3 it's fixed; the changelog doesn't seem to say
in which version it was changed).

> [...]
> here's the disk space report:
>
> /dev/sda1             147G  135G  4.5G  97% /home/backuppc

You might try temporarily increasing $Conf{DfMaxUsagePct} to 97 or 98 (and
then run a backup or wait for one to run automatically). Depending on how
large your backups typically are, you might even keep it there (7.35GB (5% of
147GB) is a lot of space to keep reserved - unless your backups are typically
that large; how much space do you need so that $Conf{MaxBackups} backups can
be started and complete without the FS filling up?).

Also note that backups don't seem to be expired for hosts for which backups
are disabled.

> as a temporary measure, i think i can manually delete files by, for
> example, deleting all the files in /home/backuppc/pc/prettylady/112 (for
> the above host)?  and then running nightly?

Presuming you don't miss any dependencies (incremental backups that are based
on that full backup), you can do that (though you'll still have an entry for
that backup in the backups file) - move the directory to $TopDir/trash and
trashClean will even do it for you in the background - but it's safer to let
BackupPC handle expiration.

Regards,
Holger