BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Troubles with 2 Snow Leopard clients using tar over ssh

2009-09-28 02:06:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Troubles with 2 Snow Leopard clients using tar over ssh
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Steven Karel <karel AT brandeis DOT edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 23:01:47 -0700
Steven writes:

> could this have to do with the fact that OSX swtiched the default tar
> from gnutar to bsdtar with Snow Leopard?
>
> http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2144311&tstart=0
>
> I think gnutar is still there, you might just have to change the
> arguments for calling.

Thanks, you're right - the default is now bsdtar.  BackupPC_dump watches
the output from tar and counts the number of lines that start with "./".
Unfortunately bsdtar generates output "a ./" for each file added to the
archive, so BackupPC_dump thinks there are no files being archived.

The best option is to change $Conf{TarClientPath} on Snow Leopard
clients from tar to gnutar (eg: /bin/gnutar, assuming that's the
right path).

Craig