BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] 3.1.0 configuration problem

2009-09-12 00:06:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] 3.1.0 configuration problem
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 06:03:26 +0200
Hi,

Timothy J Massey wrote on 2009-09-10 14:02:46 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] 3.1.0
configuration problem]:
> James Ward <jeward AT torzo DOT com> wrote on 09/10/2009 12:08:44 PM:
>
> > Yeah, I'm not sure how anyone would get that right without help.  :-)
>
> It is impossible to use correctly.  Unfortunately, there's two layers of
> information needed (share name and excluded paths), and both of them allow
> arbitrary numbers of options.  That's difficult to pull off in a single
> web page.
>
> I'm sure suggestions with at least HTML mockups would be welcome!  :)

sorry, no HTML mockup, but I've got a suggestion. The GUI could warn (or even
refuse to accept, but I'd suggest "warn") if you enter something that is not a
valid share name for the host. That would also prevent some of(*) the frequent
configuration errors caused by people entering arbitrary values or mistyping
share names or simply failing to realize that the value must *exactly* match
the share name for it to be applied.

That probably isn't applicable to editing the main config file, though.

Regards,
Holger

(*) Yes, there are people that would ignore the warning, even if it was red,
    bold, and blinking.