BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] periodically e2fsck the device /var/lib/backuppc

2009-09-08 15:43:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] periodically e2fsck the device /var/lib/backuppc
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 19:39:52 +0000
On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 07:49:03PM +0200, Matthias Meyer wrote:
> Michael Stowe wrote:
> > By the way, what's the point of doing this?  Are your drives unreliable?
> Not really. But the server runs a lot of weeks without checking the disk.
> I feel better if the disk will be checked regular.
> If I determine that there are no errors a couple of month I can stop this
> check anyway.

If you are using Linux raid you can do a check/scrub of the disks.

  http://wiki.xdroop.com/space/Linux/Software+Raid+Scrub

This compares the bits on disk for consistency. Fsck'ing the disks is
good if you suspect the filesystem structure is wonky, but it won't
check the actual data in the files AFIAK (but that might be filesystem
type specific). It just checks the metadata like directory structures,
inodes, file continuation blocks etc.

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111