BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] periodically e2fsck the device /var/lib/backuppc

2009-09-08 14:12:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] periodically e2fsck the device /var/lib/backuppc
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 13:09:42 -0500
> Not really. But the server runs a lot of weeks without checking the disk.
> I feel better if the disk will be checked regular.
> If I determine that there are no errors a couple of month I can stop this
> check anyway.

As a general rule, unless the ext3 file system experiences a crash that
prevents it from writing data to the disk, it won't experience any
problems that can be corrected by fsck unless the drive is unreliable (or
controller, or memory, etc.)

I'm not suggesting you not do it, but it's probably better to just reboot
into single user mode and fsck the filesystem if this is what you want to
do.

That being said, xfs and/or jfs would be better choices for a filesystem,
for both speed and reliability.