BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Tuning for disk contention

2009-09-07 08:54:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Tuning for disk contention
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 14:51:01 +0200
On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 06:52:35PM -0600, dan wrote:

[...]

> You make a lot more sence here, but I think you overestimate CPU usage.
> backuppc is so IO bound that after your get a 2Ghz+ Dual core and 2GB RAM
> you can pretty much blame your disks for slow performance.  I have a dual
> core 2Ghz Opteron with 2GB of ram and 8 drives in a linux raid10 and hard
> disk speed is still my bottleneck.  I run 4 concurrent backups on that
> machine and it does give high system load numbers but still handles the
> desktops in the office faster than 3 concurrent while 5 concurrent takes
> quite a bit longer to complete. filesystem choice and io scheduler do make a
> difference but faster disks is the only real cure.

I'd add some memory first. 4GB is so cheap these days and it helps a lot
for disk caching. I've seen a performance boost by upgrading from 2 GB
to 6 GB on a quad core Xeon which is also heavily I/O bound.oO(I've got
to switch to RAID-10, the RAID-5 really kills performance...)

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.craniosacralzentrum.de