BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Tuning for disk contention

2009-09-04 18:09:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Tuning for disk contention
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 17:05:18 -0500
It's an awfully good question, but there probably isn't a single right
answer.  My server is a quad-cpu beast on a gigabit network, but I settled
on two backups at a time after measuring degradation (first back up one at
a time, then two, then three...)  Then again, neither my file system nor
server is dedicated, and for me, that means that other I/O bound processes
don't have trouble running.

Naturally, your I/O wait will be higher if your CPU's are faster, and load
average can be nonsensical if you're significantly I/O bound -- so I'd
recommend doing something similar to what I did -- namely, try one backup
at a time, then ratchet up the number until they slow down too much.

Filesystem type and physical storage structure are significant in how much
I/O overhead you've got.