BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] how to write data to DVD?

2009-08-31 16:22:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] how to write data to DVD?
From: Jon Craig <cannedspam.cant AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:19:25 -0400
On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 8:01 PM,
baradoss<backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just installed backuppc successfully on my server
> and give each position are saved in / var / lib / backuppc / pc /.
>
> but I would be worth its data automatically burn to DVD or DVD-rewritable, ie
> the hen I start the backup from the web interface of backuppc, the burning
> will start automatically.
>

> you have an idea?

Hmm, your question seems to imply that you've put very little thought
or research into the subject yourself.  Thats alway discouraging for
people when deciding whether its worth their time to answer a
question.

The file names and directory structures stored on disk by backuppc do
not match source systems when viewed with a tool like "ls".  BackupPC
doesn't have an automated method of creating "DVDs".  What you can do
is request a zip or tar file containing all of the files from a backup
(this can be scripted).  You could then place this file on a DVD
(assuming it doesnt exceed the size of a DVD), and voila, you have an
offsite backup made.  This could be very tedious, but your other
choice is to roll up your sleeve's and start coding.

You may want to think about the purpose for wanting to send stuff to
DVD and reformulate your question around that. Better yet, spend some
time searching the list as your purpose has most likely been discussed
in the past.  Please note that what you view of the list via Backup
Central is a reconstituted version of the email list service content
and may differ in tone and presentation from the actual list.  You may
wish to look for a list archive and search against that (not sure if
sourceforge provides one or not).

Good luck

--
Jonathan Craig