BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Sub directories of modules impossible?

2009-08-24 01:54:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Sub directories of modules impossible?
From: chin <cle-backuppc AT qiao.in-berlin DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 07:51:37 +0200

Adam Goryachev wrote:
> chin wrote:

(...)

>> To achieve this, I tried to define (via Web interface) a
>> configuration for said Apple computer, that would set
>>
>> RsyncShareName = cle/Documents

> Hi, welcome to backuppc, and it is good to see you are prepared to
> write patches as needed. However, n this case, the feature you are
> looking for already exists:
> $Conf{RsyncShareName} = ['cle'];
>      $Conf{BackupFilesOnly} = {
>         'cle' =>  ['/Documents', '/important'],      # these are for
> 'cle' share
>      };

Upps! Thank you for pointing me to this method. Although I did
recognized that setting, I failed to associate it with my problem
domain. Sorry for that.

After reading your proposal, I tried at once. But there I found a
difference between your proposal and my patch: my proposed solution
seems to be a lot faster than using BackupFilesOnly!

Backing up 'cle/Temp/SomeDir' (module defined as /Users/cle) for
instance, needed 1 minute, whereas backing up module 'cle' (defined as
/Users/cle/Temp) with 'BackupFilesOnly = /SomeDir', already need one
hour and is still not finished.

And this is only for my 'Temp'. If I try this by setting module 'cle' to
my home directory, that is around 40 GB in size, I expect several hours
backup only for some small parts.

So in this light, my I suggest to reconsider my proposal? It is not
without reason, the command line tool 'rsync' offer that possibility to
append directories to module's name ...

> BTW, I usually prefer to exclude specific directories and backup
> everything else, as you are less likely to forget to backup some
> important directory.

For some cases I do so! But as my family members are not so used to
computer and backup, I want to give them an easy possibility to add some
directories they want to be backed up. I explicitely do *not* want them,
to backup theirs whole home shares, as this would cause severe traffic,
is mostly useless for them and would need ages for a backup run.

So in all that light, I would prefer to go a way like I proposed. If
there is no chance to add that functionality to BackupPC, at worst I
would define a module for every directory their want to backup and then
backup said modules. This is equally fast, but do not allow them to
configure the backup alone, as I would be needed to adapt theirs
rsynd.conf :-(

> Hope this helps

It helps and taught me a lesson for not taken into account all options
of BackupPC to solve my problem. Unfortunately that solution is really
too slow to be usable in my case. Sorry for that ...

Best regards and ciao,
chin

(...)