BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Revamping the Wiki

2009-08-12 17:12:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Revamping the Wiki
From: phil <phil AT backup-and-restore DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 23:07:18 +0200
Hello,

dan wrote:
> The wiki was made in a very ad-hoc manner.  When the discussion hit the
> mailing list there wasnt much leadership.. backuppc tends to be mailing list
> driven rather than forums or wikis.

I've just look at the (new) backuppc wiki located at:

        http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/

and was shocked ... where is all the content?

I've put in some hours of work, describing how to setup cygwin, ssh,
rsyncd etc. to backup windows clients with backuppc.

Since I like to write short howto's for myself, when researching stuff,
I thought I can use the backuppc wiki and give something back to the
community.
But its bad if the information can't be retrieved because of switching
to another wiki platform ... :-/

So where is the old content?!

It's true that BackupPC tends to be mailinglist driven, but for people
like myself who like to research what is possible and if a problem has
been solved already a wiki is much more user-friendly.

I like the the idea of something like a backuppc cookbook.

Question: Where can I find the old content?
I could than start from scratch and rebuild the wiki, maybe with the
focus for different kind of users:

1) beginners (they will mostly _not_ mailinglists) - "the cookbook"
2) experienced users looking for new infrastructure ideas and use cases
3) ?

Kind regards from B erlin

- P hil