BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Making a different per host setting without a pc/hostname.pc file

2009-08-11 12:56:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Making a different per host setting without a pc/hostname.pc file
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:52:16 +0000
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 02:05:51AM -0400, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> John Rouillard wrote at about 15:54:36 +0000 on Thursday, August 6, 2009:
>  > I run multiple backupc servers over wan's and I am trying to implement
>  > the following logic:
>  >
>  >   If the host being backed up by the backuppc server is at the same
>  >     site as the backuppc server, do not add --bwlimit to $Conf{RsyncArgs}.
>  >
>  >   If the host being backed up by the backuppc server is at a different
>  >     site, add "--bwlimit=64" to $Conf{RsyncArgs}.
>  >
>  > Ideally this should be placed into the config.pl so it works for all
>  > hosts, but I don't see any way to get the current hostname when the
>  > configuration is loaded.

So it looks like the current hostname only comes into play at the
hostname.pl config file load level? Or does the load of config.pl also
have $_[1] set to the hostname.

>  > While I can create 100+ pc/hostname.pl files, this gets very messy
>  > very quickly since I have to have at least two copies of each
>  > pc/hostname.pl file for the two (or more) backup servers that are
>  > backing up the data on the host. I have done this before with other
>  > backup systems, and trying to audit and verify the configuration is a
>  > total mess.
>  >
>  > I would like to allow this to be overidden by pc/hostname.pl files as
>  > there will be a dozen or so that need to have special bwlimit settings
>  > because of the amount of data that they transfer, but this is maybe 20
>  > files total, not the 200+ I am looking at having to manage.
>  >
>  > So does anybody have any ideas? Is there a $Conf{CurrentHostName}
>  > value I am not seeing? Other ideas on how to do this programatically?
>
> I described a way to do this back in the archives...
> Briefly, in /etc/BackupPC/pc, create links from each <hostname>.pl to
> the config file you want to use for that group of hosts. Then use perl
> code within that config file to recover the name of the specific host
> by looking at the variable $_[1] which will be set to <hostname>.

I already use the link idea where I can, but that is still a
maintainance nightmare. What I would like is rather than a link, a
file to be loaded with the group level info (specified in the hosts
file somehow) that I can manipulate.

The hostname location in $_[1] may do the trick however. Thanks for
that bit of info.

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111