BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Making a different per host setting without a pc/hostname.pc file

2009-08-06 13:54:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Making a different per host setting without a pc/hostname.pc file
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 12:50:56 -0500
John Rouillard wrote:

> I run multiple backupc servers over wan's and I am trying to implement
> the following logic:
>
>   If the host being backed up by the backuppc server is at the same
>     site as the backuppc server, do not add --bwlimit to $Conf{RsyncArgs}.
>
>   If the host being backed up by the backuppc server is at a different
>     site, add "--bwlimit=64" to $Conf{RsyncArgs}.
>
> Ideally this should be placed into the config.pl so it works for all
> hosts, but I don't see any way to get the current hostname when the
> configuration is loaded.
>
> While I can create 100+ pc/hostname.pl files, this gets very messy
> very quickly since I have to have at least two copies of each
> pc/hostname.pl file for the two (or more) backup servers that are
> backing up the data on the host. I have done this before with other
> backup systems, and trying to audit and verify the configuration is a
> total mess.
>
> I would like to allow this to be overidden by pc/hostname.pl files as
> there will be a dozen or so that need to have special bwlimit settings
> because of the amount of data that they transfer, but this is maybe 20
> files total, not the 200+ I am looking at having to manage.
>
> So does anybody have any ideas? Is there a $Conf{CurrentHostName}
> value I am not seeing? Other ideas on how to do this programatically?

If someone is going to implement this logic, I'd like to see it
generalized slightly differently.  I'd allow adding group or tag names
to each host, then have some additional settings that apply to the
groups, like the permitted concurrent backups of members of the same
group to control bandwidth out each network branch.  Perhaps there could
be group-specific overrides of the config variables as well as
host-specific to easily control things like enabling ssh compression or
setting bwlimit.