BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] automated off-site backup (via BackupPC_archiveStart or restore)

2009-08-10 16:51:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] automated off-site backup (via BackupPC_archiveStart or restore)
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:47:47 -0500
Shaun Curry wrote:
> Thanks Les for this.  Does anyone have a working rsync with -H option
> over a sshfs?

The concept doesn't make very much sense.  If you mount a remote site
via sshfs and run rsync locally it's going to have to read all of the
remote data through the filesystem mount for comparison and not save you
any bandwidth with the remote block-checksum technique.

> I have been trying this all afternoon with much difficulty.
> First I was getting errors about chown permissions (Worked through -
> mounted sshfs as root user), now I am getting a strange error:
> rsync: link "/backup/pool/backuppc/pc/10.0.0.99/0/fshare/fdrivers/fDell
> <http://10.0.0.99/0/fshare/fdrivers/fDell> - 720/fWin_XP2K/fdlbcw2k.inf"
> => backuppc/pc/10.0.0.99/0/fshare/fdrivers/fDell
> <http://10.0.0.99/0/fshare/fdrivers/fDell> - 720/fWin_XP2K/fdlbcw2k.ini
> failed: Function not implemented (38)

I think that means that hardlinks don't work over sshfs.