BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] automated off-site backup (via BackupPC_archiveStart or restore)

2009-08-10 16:05:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] automated off-site backup (via BackupPC_archiveStart or restore)
From: Shaun Curry <scurry7 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:00:21 -0500
Thanks Les for this.  Does anyone have a working rsync with -H option over a sshfs?  I have been trying this all afternoon with much difficulty.
First I was getting errors about chown permissions (Worked through - mounted sshfs as root user), now I am getting a strange error:
rsync: link "/backup/pool/backuppc/pc/10.0.0.99/0/fshare/fdrivers/fDell - 720/fWin_XP2K/fdlbcw2k.inf" => backuppc/pc/10.0.0.99/0/fshare/fdrivers/fDell - 720/fWin_XP2K/fdlbcw2k.ini failed: Function not implemented (38)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (2914 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(600) [sender=3.0.5]
I am running this command::~# rsync -avH /var/lib/backuppc /backup/pool/

I have no problem working through my errs but if someone is currently implementing this and it works please let me know how you accomplished it!

thanks in advance

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
Shaun Curry wrote:
> Hello all,
> sorry if this questions has been asked several times, but I cannot find
> the information I need to make a decision. So because of the number of
> hard links you can't just rsync the data pool or anything so the best
> option to send your backuppc server's data offsite is through the
> archive or restore scripts (correct me if I am wrong).

Whether or not it is practical to rsync -H  the pool and pc directories
will depend on how big your archive is (more on the number of files than
the size), how much RAM you have, and what version of rsync you use (3.x
is more effecient).

> Please give me advice on which option might be best (I plan to restore
> to a sshfs from rsync.net <http://rsync.net> or something).
>
> I am assuming archive is best because it creates a tar, gz, or bz2 file
> from the archive (ability to compress).  I tried using the archive from
> command line option on backuppc docs
> <http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#starting_an_archive_from_the_command_line>
> webpage but it has limited info and no examples.

You should probably just use BackupPC_tarCreate directly if you are
going to make an archive from the command line.

Shaun Curry
BS-InformationTechnology
936.718.2175