BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc not completing backups

2009-07-29 16:10:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc not completing backups
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 16:04:26 -0400
Curtis Vaughan wrote at about 11:21:58 -0700 on Wednesday, July 29, 2009:
 > Backuppc was performing an rsync back up one Windows XP system, on
 > which Cygwin is installed, for years now. But now it starts the backup and
 > seems to just hang there. That is, I can see it's backed up a number of
 > files and directories, placing them in the appropriate .../new/ directory,
 > but then at some point it stops adding any files. And it'll stay that way
 > for days.
 > I've also tried to add a Windows 2000 Server with the same configuration.
 > It also does the same thing.
 > I should note that all Linux/Unix servers are backing up just fine.
 > How do I go about troubleshoot the Windows issue though?

rsync (as opposed to rsyncd) has a history of hanging on
Windows/cygwin systems. To verify this, try doing a naked rsync on
your Linux machine to back up the same tree on the Windows machine
using the flag "--protocol=28" and see if you get a similar hang. The
problem is fixed with newer versions of rsync with protocol 30, but
unfortunately the perl module 'perl-File-RsyncP' only works with
protocol <=28 and indeed causes Backuppc/rsync to regress to
protocol=28.

Running rsyncd on windoze and the rsyncd method on Backuppc avoids
this problem.