BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Modify the default backuppc user

2009-07-28 11:54:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Modify the default backuppc user
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 11:49:47 -0400
David Anderson wrote at about 09:44:54 -0500 on Tuesday, July 28, 2009:
 > This program is hands down the slickest thing I have seen in a long
 > time. I have been using it at home for a couple of months, and now I
 > am trying to convince my work place that this is the way to go for our
 > backup needs. I have run into one little snag that I cant seem to
 > figure out for myself though.
 >
 > I am trying to backup an NFS share from my Windows 2003 server to my
 > Ubuntu Linux server. (the samba seems to work fine, but I was
 > wondering if it would be a better approach to use this instead - I am
 > not sure if there are any reasons to avoid this approach so if you
 > have any suggestions about avoiding it I would also like to know that
 > =) ). So I have the NFS share set up, I can mount it no problem, and
 > it is part of the Linux file system /mnt/MFS/corp - I can access it
 > with any user of my Linux system - all users that is except the
 > backuppc user & root. I specifically have root locked out, but
 > backuppc should be able to get to this read-only share - I think it
 > may be because the backuppc user is some kind of special web user (not
 > a full normal user of the Linux system).

Nothing to do with the web and I have never heard of a "special web
user."

Rather consistent with the general Unix/security policy of not giving
users more privileges than they need, most installs set up the
backuppc account as a non-login account. For example, my /etc/passwd
file has the following line (not the 'nologin' shell)
         backuppc:x:450:450::/var/lib/BackupPC:/sbin/nologin
and my /etc/shadow has: (note the account is locked by virtue of the
'!' in the password field)
        backuppc:!!:14149::::::
So the account is not accessible and has no shell.

You can change that either by editing the above files manually (if you
know what you are doing) or better either use the standard *nix CLI
commands usermod or adduser or chsh; or whatever graphical alternative
interfaces your distro provides.

 > Is there any way to make this
 > user a normal user of the Linux system? This would allow for me to be
 > able to log into the Linux server as the user backuppc - rather than
 > having to do every thing with su backuppc? And if it is a normal user,
 > I think the user mapping should work for the NFS share - where right
 > now it is failing.

I'm not an NFS expert, but I would guess that what is interfering is
that the account appears locked (as set in /etc/shadow). I don't think
that the /sbin/nologin affects NFS so you may only need to unlock the
account.