BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup planification

2009-07-23 04:51:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup planification
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:46:11 +1000

glubby wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I want to set BackupPC to backup a server on a monthly basis. I want
> to make a full backup on sunday and then 2x3 incremental backup on
> the following days of the week and then a full etc ......

I'm not sure what 2x3 incremental backup means... but...

> To do so, I have set this configuration :
>
> $Conf{FullPeriod} = '6';
To get a full backup every 7 days, you should have:
$Conf{FullPeriod} = '6.8';
ie, a value close to 7, but you probably want it a little less than 7 so
that it won't start later and later each week, and eventually skip to
happening after 8 days...

> $Conf{IncrPeriod} = '1'; -

This will give daily backups, but again should reduce this to 0.8 or
similar...

> $Conf{FullKeepCnt} = ['3'];

So you will only keep todays full (this week), one 7 day old (last
week), and one 14 day old backup (2 weeks ago)?

You probably want that at least = 4 or 5 or 6

> $Conf{IncrKeepCnt} = '15'; -

As above, to keep a backup from every day for the past month, this
should equal "Num days in month - num full backups in month", or at
least 27 or 28.

Keeping a couple of extra backups will usually not require very much
additional disk space, and it is *always* better to keep more backups if
you can...

> During my tests, I have done a few incremental and full backups on
> the same day. So, I don't know if it is a side effect or what, but my
> configuration is not working as I want.
>
> Is my BackupPC misconfigured ?

Hopefully the above info will provide enough guidance to help you get
what you want. If not, then you may need to re-explain in more detail
what you want.... Also show which backups you have, and which ones are
automatically deleted that you wanted to keep. This will help us advise
changes to you.

Regards,
Adam

- --