BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] PST files -- accelerated "retiring"?

2009-07-08 23:11:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] PST files -- accelerated "retiring"?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 23:04:17 -0400
Adam Goryachev wrote at about 12:36:03 +1000 on Thursday, July 9, 2009:

 > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > > Ken D'Ambrosio wrote at about 09:34:42 -0400 on Wednesday, July 8, 2009:
 > >  > Hi, all.  Not having used BackupPC for about five years, I was
 > > wondering,
 > >  > first and foremost, if there had come into existence a mechanism for
 > >  > backing up open PST files.  Secondly, since PST files are
 > >  > disproportionately large when it comes to incrementals, is there any way
 > >  > to delete them at an accelerated rate?
 > >  >

 > > 1. Read the threads on using shadow mounts to backup open files like
 > >    pst's. If you want, you can use the script that I posted to the
 > >    group for automagically setting up and taking down shadow mounts
 > >
 > > 2. I also wrote a script, BackupPC_deleteFile for selectively deleting
 > >    one or more files from one or more backups. One could presumably
 > >    automate it to regularly delete past pst files using a simple cron
 > >    job or equivalent. Again check out the archives.
 >
 > There is also a rsync binary that was posted which was able to
 > automatically utilise shadow mounts to backup open files. I tried the
 > above scripts, and got rather lost, rather than debug and work through
 > it, I tried the rsync binary, which has worked perfectly since, and so I
 > haven't touched it again....
 >
 > Jeffrey, have you looked at the rsync binary which supports shadow mount
 > backups? How does that compare to what your set of scripts do? I'd just
 > be interested in whether your scripts offer some advantage I haven't
 > considered...

Not sure -- I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I use cygwin
rsync so I wasn't too excited about installing a separate rsync
binary. Presumably the modified rsync is cleaner since it would be
able to avoid the kludge of having to separately start up vshadow.exe
(which requires additional kludges in my script since vshadow.exe is
somewhat broken in XP) and to assign drive letters to vshadow. Also,
assuming rsync is always running, you don't have the problem of having
to use something like 'at' to re-enter as an admin-level user (this is
due to a bug/feature in cygwin ssh where even ssh'ing as root doesn't
give you full admin power).

My script has proved to be quite robust for me across multiple usage
cases so I haven't felt the need to try something new/better.