BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] PST files -- accelerated "retiring"?

2009-07-08 22:30:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] PST files -- accelerated "retiring"?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 22:26:51 -0400
Ken D'Ambrosio wrote at about 09:34:42 -0400 on Wednesday, July 8, 2009:
 > Hi, all.  Not having used BackupPC for about five years, I was wondering,
 > first and foremost, if there had come into existence a mechanism for
 > backing up open PST files.  Secondly, since PST files are
 > disproportionately large when it comes to incrementals, is there any way
 > to delete them at an accelerated rate?

1. Read the threads on using shadow mounts to backup open files like
   pst's. If you want, you can use the script that I posted to the
   group for automagically setting up and taking down shadow mounts

2. I also wrote a script, BackupPC_deleteFile for selectively deleting
   one or more files from one or more backups. One could presumably
   automate it to regularly delete past pst files using a simple cron
   job or equivalent. Again check out the archives.