BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Need to speed up tar method

2009-07-01 11:02:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Need to speed up tar method
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 10:57:35 -0400
Adam Goryachev wrote at about 00:34:44 +1000 on Thursday, July 2, 2009:
 > error403 wrote:
 > > However, using this method, I also found out that backuppc was
 > > copying EVERY files from the host, even on incremental backups,
 > > because (I assume) it needed to compare locally the files before
 > > updating the ones in the last backup.
 > >
 > > So, my 2 questions are, is there a way to script a way to compare the
 > > files before the copy, to make a way to skip files that are not
 > > needed in the tar method,
 >
 > I would have thought the default config for a tar backup would be to use
 > the date/time of a file to decide whether or not to include it in the
 > backup... but I don't use this, perhaps you should check what flags you
 > are giving to tar for full/incremental...

Also try using "ls -al" with the sshfs mounted to make sure the
date/time is correct for the files.

 > > and is there a way to tell backuppc to NOT
 > > start if the mounted directory is empty to prevent empty backups?
 >
 > - From the config.pl file:
 > # A backup of a share that has zero files is considered fatal. This is
 > # used to catch miscellaneous Xfer errors that result in no files being
 > # backed up.  If you have shares that might be empty (and therefore an
 > # empty backup is valid) you should set this flag to 0.
 > #
 > $Conf{BackupZeroFilesIsFatal} = 1;
 >
 > This will mark the backup as failed, and so will retry as per your
 > configuration until it is successful.

However won't this retry every hour which will cause a fair bit of
overhead as it goes through the entire backup process only to see it
is empty.  I assume what the OP wants is to mark this as a correct but
empty backup (leaving no trace)and to not try again until the next
regular backup time period