BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Need to speed up tar method

2009-07-01 09:12:08
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Need to speed up tar method
From: error403 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 09:04:29 -0400
Hello,

I had troubles using the rsync(d) method (crashed my server) so I used a
workaround: create a sshfs mount and "locally" backup its files.  To prevent
empty backups, I changed the ping command to ssh user@hostname whoami to
emulate a response if successful, or return no ping if not connected. I figured
that out the long way because I had a few empty backups (the mounting directory
was empty).

However, using this method, I also found out that backuppc was copying EVERY
files from the host, even on incremental backups, because (I assume) it needed
to compare locally the files before updating the ones in the last backup.

So, my 2 questions are, is there a way to script a way to compare the files
before the copy, to make a way to skip files that are not needed in the tar
method, and is there a way to tell backuppc to NOT start if the mounted
directory is empty to prevent empty backups?

I'm using backuppc 3.0.0 on ubuntu, and the hosts are using freesshd on Windows
for now.

Thanks,

Phil