BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Amazon S3 and/or EC2 or other off-site storage ideas

2009-06-27 10:16:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Amazon S3 and/or EC2 or other off-site storage ideas
From: daniel <danniel.co AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 16:50:15 +0300
Hi
why don't you try the Newservers storage disks? They provide Network
Attached Dedicated iSCSI Disks with $0.11/hour if you take servers
from they.
They also have a great api for customers. Regarding storage, you can
use their tool to image your entire harddisk from server and restore
later on the same server or another. Their tech support is great
www.newservers.com

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Leen Besselink<leen AT consolejunky DOT net>
wrote:
> Pieter Wuille wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 11:05:23AM +0200, Tino Schwarze wrote:
>>> Hi Mark,
>>>

> Hi Mark, Tino & Pieter,

>>> In my opinion, off-site storage and backup don't go together. After all,
>>> your backups contain all of your important (and possibly secret) data. I
>>> wouldn't want to store these on some online-service.
>>
>> Therefore you should always have offsite backups encrypted using a key that
>> is not stored on the offsite backup. Ideally, the offsite server (assuming
>> you don't control the physical access to it), shouldn't even ever see the
>> unencrypted data.
>>

> My personal opinion is, backup is for restoring files and has history, but
> offsite storage is for when the building burns down. Some people would
> probably
> call that disaster recovery.
>
>> You can do this at either filesystem-level or blockdevice-level. The first
>> one
>> is (in the case of backuppc, because of massive hardlinking and millions of
>> small files), very cpu and ram intensive, and more difficult to encrypt.
>> Using a blockdevice-approach is a lot less stressing for you system, but
>> probably a serious waste of bandwidth unless you have a way to send
>> incrementals updates.
>>

> I agree on the encryption part and I always though
> http://duplicity.nongnu.org/
> looks pretty cool.
>
> My guess is it doesn't do hardlinks, I haven't checked, but maybe you don't
> really need history (what the hardlinks are for) when disaster strikes ?
>
> That's obviously up to you.

>>> I'm not familiar with S3 or EC2. Currently, BackupPC requires direct
>>> access to a posix file system with hardlink support. And it does quite
>>> stress the file system!
>>
>> Neither am i familiar with S3 or EC2, and have no idea what kind of ways
>> there are for synchronisation, but maybe you can synchronize the backup
>> volume (blockdevice level) or backup filesystem with something on S3/EC2.
>> I would advise against using backuppc to do offsite-backups of a backuppc
>> pool. It will require many resources and increases the difficulty for
>> doing a restore.
>>

> I think duplicity does do so, but again I haven't checked.
>
> But anyway, the most important thing you should do with any tooling like
> this, is a restore test. And have a working plan.

Daniel Corabian
Linux System Administrator
AccelerateBiz Hosting, Inc.
Mobile: +40-742-391927
E-mail:  danniel_co AT yahoo DOT com, daniel AT AccelerateBiz DOT com