BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Amazon S3 and/or EC2 or other off-site storage ideas

2009-06-27 05:09:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Amazon S3 and/or EC2 or other off-site storage ideas
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 11:05:23 +0200
Hi Mark,

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 08:28:32AM -0700, Mark Phillips wrote:
> I am looking for inexpensive off-site storage that is compatible with
> backuppc.

In my opinion, off-site storage and backup don't go together. After all,
your backups contain all of your important (and possibly secret) data. I
wouldn't want to store these on some online-service.

> Is anyone using backuppc to backup files to Amazon S3? I have googled for
> some articles on this topic, and all I have found are old ones. It seems
> 1. S3 does not "allow" hard links and use of rsync. There is a s3sync
> option, but I haven't looked a it.
> 2. Using an EC2 front end running backuppc might work, and then storing to
> s3. Haven't found any backuppc articles about this.

I'm not familiar with S3 or EC2. Currently, BackupPC requires direct
access to a posix file system with hardlink support. And it does quite
stress the file system!

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.craniosacralzentrum.de