BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Putting the pool onto an external drive, such as a USB drive

2009-06-24 11:40:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Putting the pool onto an external drive, such as a USB drive
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:37:35 -0500
Nick Smith wrote:
>> but switched to sata in a trayless hot-swap carrier
>> when I went to larger drives.
>
> Do you have any links to the hardware you used? I too am looking for
> such a solution.

I hesitated to recommend this at first because I built the box out of an
old server motherboard and a bunch of old parts in a huge tower case and
had lots of mysterious hardware-related issues at first. But after
replacing the RAM  and the 2 old sata controllers with a single 8-port
pci-x card everything is rock solid.   It actually has an older 4-slot
drive bay with trays that I didn't swap because the old Promise Sata
controller running them didn't support hotswap.  And the 3-slot trayless
one wouldn't recognize my 750 gig drives at bootup with an SIIG
controller but would when they were swapped in later.

With the new controller:
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=953632
all of the drives will hot-swap and are all recognized if they are in at
bootup including some new 1.5TB Seagates.  The trayless bay is this one:
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1187023
which takes the space of 2 5" bays and holds 3 drives but other sizes
are available. For this purpose you could use 2 fixed drives and only
one that swaps.

The server is set up with 2 fixed scsi drives for the OS, and all of the
sata drives are software raid so they are detected regardless of
insertion order.