BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to reuse already saved data until an interrupted incr backup

2009-06-18 18:16:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to reuse already saved data until an interrupted incr backup
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:10:59 +0000
Hi all:

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:40:14PM +0200, Matthias Meyer wrote:
> I use BackupPC 3.1 and rsyncd.
> If an incr Backup aborts, e.g. because of lost network connections, all of
> the data, which was copied into the /new directory, will be deleted.
> The next time an incr backup runs, all the work (compare and transfer) must
> be done again.
>
> What is the reason for this behavior?
> Is there a posibility to save the already saved data and reuse it for the
> next backup in a similiar way as in interupted full backups?

I generally hate "me too" type posts but, yes you guessed it this is
one of those.

I would like to second the saving of partial incrementals. I get 60GB
or more in a single day that I have to backup over a slow WAN.

This takes 1-2 weeks to back up as the host that has these files has a
lot of data to back up. Just getting through the shares to the point
of backing up the share with the new 60GB of data takes a while with a
full backup because it has to compare all the data as full backups
ignore the modification dates of the files.

Ideally I would be able to tell the backup system to use a partial
backup so the couple of hours taken in verifying the other filesystems
would be skipped by using the modification time information.

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111