BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] "Clusters" of hosts

2009-06-10 11:27:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] "Clusters" of hosts
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:23:10 -0500
John Rouillard wrote:
> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 10:16:33PM +0200, Pieter Wuille wrote:
>> I don't know how common this usage is, but in our setup we have a lot of
>> backuppc "hosts" that are physically located on a few machines only. It
>> would be nice if it were possible to allow hosts on different machines to
>> be backupped simultaneously, but prevent simultaneous backups(dumps) of
>> hosts on the same machine.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> If you have a way of mapping the host names to a physical machine, you
> can use my queing/locking strategy described in:
>

>   http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
> net/msg13698.html
>
> Create one queue/semaphore per physical machine and have the
> $Conf{DumpPreUserCmd} command exit with an error if it can't get a
> slot/lock (also you will have to set $Conf{UserCmdCheckStatus} = 1;).

As a feature request, I think it would be nice to have a way to add
hosts to groups, then limit how many in each group the scheduler would
start at once.  There are several scenarios where this is needed to
avoid overloading some common reasource - like a low-bandwidth link as
well as sharing a physical host or filesystem.