BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] "Clusters" of hosts

2009-06-10 11:01:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] "Clusters" of hosts
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 14:56:57 +0000
On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 10:16:33PM +0200, Pieter Wuille wrote:
> I don't know how common this usage is, but in our setup we have a lot of
> backuppc "hosts" that are physically located on a few machines only. It
> would be nice if it were possible to allow hosts on different machines to
> be backupped simultaneously, but prevent simultaneous backups(dumps) of
> hosts on the same machine.
>
> Any thoughts?

If you have a way of mapping the host names to a physical machine, you
can use my queing/locking strategy described in:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg13698.html

Create one queue/semaphore per physical machine and have the
$Conf{DumpPreUserCmd} command exit with an error if it can't get a
slot/lock (also you will have to set $Conf{UserCmdCheckStatus} = 1;).

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111