BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to keep backups for xx days

2009-06-04 13:28:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to keep backups for xx days
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 12:24:44 -0500
Bharat Mistry wrote:
> I'm trying to understand the various seeetings I need to make to achieve
> this and a bit confused.
>
> I'm backing up 9 PC's with BackupPC
>
> I have been asked to make sure ALL hosts keep at least 3 months of Full
> backups and assocaited incremental

Do you need all daily incrementals here or just a few weeks, then weekly
fulls going back in time?

> We are taking about around 5-20Gb in most cases - I don't think space is
> an issue with 1Tb drives (RAID1) on BackupPC box.
>
> Do I simply set the FullPeriod to 89.7

That's how often a new full will be taken.  I'd leave that at a week.

> and FullKeepCnt to 3 ?

FullKeepCntMin=13 would keep 13 weekly fulls regardless of their age.
IncrKeepCntMin=78 would keep the corresponding daily incrementals (but
you may not really care about the older ones. These settings won't age
out even if backups stop being taken.