BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Exponential full backups not working as expected (I think)

2009-05-22 18:35:47
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Exponential full backups not working as expected (I think)
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: General list for user discussion <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 18:29:55 -0400
I have now been running BackupPC for about 6 months now and I don't
think I'm getting the exponential series of full backups I was looking
for.

I was hoping to have full backups done every 2 weeks with 1 saved
exponentially every 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 8 weeks, 16 weeks, 32 weeks, and
then approximately yearly (actually every 63 weeks) for a 100 years.
I also want daily incrementals for the two weeks between full backups.

I set the following variables:
  $Conf{FullPeriod} = 13.97;
  $Conf{IncrPeriod} = 0.97;
  $Conf{FullKeepCnt} = [1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 100];
  $Conf{FullKeepCntMin} = 2;
  $Conf{FullAgeMax}     = 36500;
  $Conf{IncrKeepCnt} = 13;
  $Conf{IncrKeepCntMin} = 1;
  $Conf{IncrAgeMax}     = 30;
  $Conf{IncrLevels}  = [1, 2, 3, 4];

However, while the incrementals seems to be working just fine, I don't
seem to be getting the expected exponential series of full
backups. Here is what I get on various machines (where first column is
backup number and second column is the date). Note some machines are
laptops so they may miss backups if they are not online.

Machine 1:
16  11/18
127 3/12
183 5/7
196 5/20

Machine 2:
3   11/18
62  3/9
88      4/27
100 5/11

Machine 3:
5   1/18
128 4/10
142 4/24
156 5/9

Machine 4:
7   11/21
128 4/5
156 5/3
170 5/17

I'm not sure I even see the pattern here...

I would have thought I would on average have a backup now that is
most recent then going back from that a total of 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 10
weeks, and 18 weeks (since the oldest backup is now just 26 weeks old).

Am I missing something?