BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Next release

2009-03-30 15:05:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Next release
From: Johan Ehnberg <johan AT ehnberg DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 21:42:35 +0300
> * Added more options to server backup command: rather than just forcing
>   an incremental or full backup, a regular (auto) backup can be queued
>   (ie: do nothing/incr/full based on schedule), as well as doing just
>   an incremental or full or nothing based on the client schedule.
>   Based on patches submitted by Joe Digilio.

Documentation is underway for using this in mobile and/or client
initiated setups over SSH and rsync/rsyncd (maybe other methods too). As
soon as the command line syntax is final I'll get to publishing it somehow.

So far I've had three variants none of which were really scalable in
tests (although working) and this feature solves it all:

Reverse tunnel with one of these
a) The current alternative queue all function should trigger any PC in
need of backup, but with many PC:s it becomes unreliable and inefficient
= does not scale.
b) _dump the host is not smart enough for client initiated backups, as
it either does not use schedules or relies only on one chance per day,
depending on client scripts. It also does not respect simultaneous jobs
and ignores the UI = does not scale.
c) Sitting and waiting with a sleep command. This gets ugly on the
client side and should really be done with a VPN. Also has greater risk
of dead SSH sessions blocking working ones, requiring manual
intervention = does not scale too well.

Clearly queuing only the relevant client solves a), using the common
queue and schedule solves b) and having that command in the first place
solves c).

A big thanks to those who work on the code for this functionality.

/johan