BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Local backups

2009-03-23 01:44:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Local backups
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Paul Dugas <Paul AT dugas DOT cc>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 22:34:24 -0700
Paul writes:

> I tried just changing 'RsyncClientCmd' to "$rsyncPath $argList+" but it
> seems BackupPC is expecting the SSH and is now improperly escaping
> 'RsyncArgs'.  The hitch is with a space in one.
>
> $Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = '$rsyncPath $argList+';
> $Conf{RsyncArgs} = [
>   '--numeric-ids',
>   '--perms',
>   '--owner',
>   '--group',
>   '-D',
>   '--links',
>   '--hard-links',
>   '--times',
>   '--block-size=2048',
>   '--recursive',
>   '--filter',
>   'dir-merge /.backuppc-filter'
> ];
>
> The last two are an addition I use to allow users to exclude files from
> the backup with properly crafted .backuppc-filter files in their
> directories.
>
> I end up with an extra slash after the dir-merge.
>
> /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group
> -D --links --hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --filter
> dir-merge\ /.backuppc-filter --ignore-times . /etc/

The "\" is to escape the following " " since it is a single argument.

Actually, BackupPC doesn't execute the command as printed.  Rather,
it keeps the arguments as an array and passes them directly to exec().
So rsync should see a single argument

    dir-merge /.backuppc-filter

right after '--filter'.

For logging purposes, the command is turned into a single string and
escaped as though it was going to be executed by a shell (although it
isn't). That's when the "\" gets added.

Craig