BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BAckup Filis

2009-03-13 13:17:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BAckup Filis
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: rob AT steinmetznet DOT com, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 12:07:45 -0500
Robert Steinmetz AIA wrote:
> I have just installed backuppc on a  Ubuntu 8.04 system. I am attempting
> to back it up to a 500GB external USB drive. I intend to run daily
> incremental backups after that.
>
> It almost seems to be working now except when I run a full back up the
> backup fails after creating only a 230MB archive.
>> -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 231406815 2009-03-13 10:45 localhost.4.tar.gz

I think I'm missing something here.  Are you trying to make an archive
copy of backuppc's backup of the local host where the USB drive is
attached?  What's the point, compared to just running the tar directly?

> Here is the last log entry.
>
>> 2009-03-13 11:06:33 Started full backup on localhost
>> <http://romulus/backuppc/index.cgi?host=localhost> (pid=7651, share=/)
>> 2009-03-13 11:06:40 Backup failed on localhost
>> <http://romulus/backuppc/index.cgi?host=localhost> (fileListReceive failed)

This doesn't have anything to do with your localhost.4.tar.gz file.
Backing up the local host is sort-of a special case if you don't let it
connect over ssh like everything else.

> Since I'm new to backuppc I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing and I'm
> not sure what information would be helpful in solving my problem.
> I'm happy to provide any information necessary

I think you need to start from scratch since it isn't obvious what you
are trying to do or why it is failing.  Are you putting backuppc's
native storage on the USB drive or just trying to make archive runs to
it of things backuppc has saved?  And what kind of filesystem is on the
USB drive?