BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC speed and some basic questions

2009-03-06 22:45:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC speed and some basic questions
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 20:39:46 -0700
The CPU is hit most by the comrpession scheme when using cpool, then by the rsync checksums and then by the ssh session.  If you use an IDE interface or a SATA in IDE mode then you will be using more CPU.  If you are not using DMA and your disks are stuck in PIO (do hdparm /dev/disk0 to see) then you are really going to eat up CPU cycles.

You might also have a slow drive controller.

The bump in CPU and RAM was obviously a good thing.  More ram allows linux to be more swappy and frees up more ram for the system to use in disk caching.

I did something to my machine recently that did wonders for my backup performance.  I baught an Adaptec PCIe Raid card (31205)  with 256MB of cache.  The 8x PCIe interface completely removes a bottleneck there, the cache is awesome for I/O as it buffers I/O latency which backuppc is very vulnerable too.  I migrated my old 4 disk raid5 into  a 5 disk raid5ee which is a fancy way adaptec uses a hot spare to improve performance.

My backup times dropped from about 3 hours to well under 2.  something like a 40% improvement.  Considering it is still a 4 disk raid5 + hot spare and the drives are comparable this is a rather huge gain.