BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Kernel Panic, BackupPC + ext3

2009-03-06 14:31:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Kernel Panic, BackupPC + ext3
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 13:25:07 -0600
Nate wrote:

>> You might try disabling the write cache on the physical drives (hdparm
>> -W0 /dev/sd{a,b,c), as some have reported that solves the "stuttering"
>> at the cost of performance.
>
> I'm going to give this a shot.  I'm concerned at the impact it may
> have on backuppc's operations as disk i/o seems to be the biggest
> bottleneck anyways.  If it solves the problem I should know in < 2
> weeks hopefully if there are no lockups.

With current hardware prices you are probably better off just replacing
anything that doesn't work right, especially intermittently because
you'll never know when you can trust it.   I wasted a lot of time with a
machine that had a RAM problem (took days of memtest86 to show it) and
even after it was fixed the problems kept popping back up as the
alternate copy of raid mirrors were read.