BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] move a specific backup (share) from one pool to another pool

2009-02-24 18:14:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] move a specific backup (share) from one pool to another pool
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:11:23 -0500
Chris Robertson wrote at about 11:44:49 -0900 on Tuesday, February 24, 2009:
 > Tino Schwarze wrote:

 > >> What happens if you just copy a single host's backup tree without regard
 > >> to the cpool links (assuming you have space)?  Will subsequent runs put
 > >> links into cpool so the wasted space goes away when the copied runs are
 > >> expired or will future matching files maintain links to the copied ones?
 > >>

 > Subsequent runs would put links of newly BackupPC_dump'ed files into the
 > pool.  The copied files would be duplicates of the pool files, but would
 > not be linked.  As the copied backups are expired wasted space will be
 > recovered.

I wrote a program a while back that among other things checks for
unlinked files in the pc heirarchy. If an existing pool entry exists,
then it deletes the pc entry and hard links to it. If not, then it
moves the pc entry to the pool and hard links to it. The program is
called BackupPC_fixLinks.pl.

It also looks for duplicate entries in the pool and eliminates them.

If you think that may be helpful, I can send you the latest version.

My only caveat is that the program was designed for finding isolated
numbers of missing links caused by errors in linking due to an
nfs/ext3 bug on my NAS device (I typically had about 50,000-100,000
bad files to correct).

The program is by no means optimized to relink an entire tree.