BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] move a specific backup (share) from one pool to another pool

2009-02-24 15:49:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] move a specific backup (share) from one pool to another pool
From: Chris Robertson <crobertson AT gci DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 11:44:49 -0900
Tino Schwarze wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 04:58:32PM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> Craig Barratt wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think there is a way to transfer a single host's backups using
>>> BackupPC_tarPCCopy.
>>>
>> What happens if you just copy a single host's backup tree without regard
>> to the cpool links (assuming you have space)?  Will subsequent runs put
>> links into cpool so the wasted space goes away when the copied runs are
>> expired or will future matching files maintain links to the copied ones?

Subsequent runs would put links of newly BackupPC_dump'ed files into the
pool.  The copied files would be duplicates of the pool files, but would
not be linked.  As the copied backups are expired wasted space will be
recovered.

> You might have to run BackupPC_link afterwards - it should integrate the
> files into the pool... but I'm not sure.

In order for this to have any effect, you'd have to recreate the
"$datadir/$pc/NewFileList.$backupNumber" file which tells BackupPC_link
which files need to be linked.  Basically, in the case above, you'd need
to traverse each copied $datadir/$pc/$backupNumber/ directory and for
every file found write out...

$poolHashFileName $fileSize $fileName

...to "$datadir/$pc/NewFileList.$backupNumber".  So if you copied in 10
old backups, you'd have to traverse 10 directories and write out 10
NewFileList files.

Unless you are short on disk space or are planning on keeping the
relocated backups around forever, that is likely more trouble than it's
worth.

> Tino.

Chris