BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] How does BackupPC work?

2009-02-18 12:10:58
Subject: [BackupPC-users] How does BackupPC work?
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen AT complete DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:58:14 -0600
Hi,

I've been reading docs on BackupPC and I have a few questions about
how it works.

First off, I gather that it keeps a hardlinked pool of data, so
whenever a file changes on any host, on the backup device, it will be
hardlinked to a file containing the same data, regardless of the host
it came from, right?

So, given that, I don't really understand why there is a distinction
between a full and an incremental backup.  Shouldn't either one take
up the same amount of space?  That is, if you've got few changes on
the client, then on the server you're mostly just hardlinking things
anyway, right?  So why is there a choice?

Secondly, I gather that BackupPC mangles filenames.  That doesn't
bother me, but how is it possible to use rsync in an efficient way
with that?  rsync wouldn't be able to match up client-side filenames
with the server-side names since the server names are different, so it
wouldn't do its efficient transfers.  Either that or you're having to
create temporary directory trees on the server, which sounds
inefficient.  Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

-- John