BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] 38GB file backup is hanging backuppc (more info and more questions)

2009-02-16 13:45:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] 38GB file backup is hanging backuppc (more info and more questions)
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 18:42:52 +0000
Hi Craig:

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:24:28PM -0800, Craig Barratt wrote:
> Tony writes:
> > I missed the original post, but  I run rsync with the --whole-file
> > option, but I still get RStmp files, is that not supposed to happen?
>
> RStmp is a temporary file used to store the uncompressed pool file,
> which is needed for the rsync algorithm.  It's only used for larger
> files - smaller files are uncompressed in memory.
>
> RStmp is independent of --whole-file.

What about when there is no prior file? I have explictly deleted the
original file from the prior backup and I still get an RStmp file. Is
it just filled with zeros or something?

I agree with Tony that the new file is created very slowly. I have
14GB of the 38GB file transfrerred and the latest backup attempt has
been running since:

    2009-02-12 19:58

so that is very slow indeed.

Is there some data I can get to try to figure out where the bottleneck
is? Since Tony said he sees the same issues using --whole-file I guess
that won't solve my problem either.

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard